Friday, September 19, 2008

My attempt at a "public domain" license declaration

Many lawyers will tell you that it is impossible for an author to explicitly release a new work into the public domain, but many authors would like to do such a thing. Normally the advice is to acknowledge retaining the copyright and then explicitly grant permission for public use of the work for every possible use.

So here's my attempt (taken from something I had to put into the public domain today:
Copyright (c) YEARS by AUTHORS
No rights reserved. All rights granted.

This work is licensed to the public domain. All persons
are permitted to use, copy, modify, distribute, and
publicly perform or display this work without restriction.

To view a copy of this license, visit
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/
or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street,
Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.
I think much of that is redundant. You probably don't need that second half linking to CC's explanation of public domain. You probably don't need the "No rights reserved" and "All rights granted" crap either. Anyway, for the moment, I don't think they're doing any harm.

Yes, I realize I could just ask the civil law attorney in my family who handles this type of thing daily, but I'm afraid he'd just think I was being silly.

No comments: