Tuesday, March 22, 2005

I know David Sedaris; in fact, we're best friends

So I haven't been blogging the past couple of days, and I blame S.Dogg from S.Dogg Speaks. You see, my post, Yes, but do *I* like sad songs?, was a direct response to one of hers, and I had to wait to continue posting until I was sure she read it, but she didn't return to read it until yesterday (and late yesterday)... and so in the meantime, I've been sitting on my hands.

So I've been itching to post that apparently David Sedaris and I are best friends. If you're not familiar with David Sedaris, then you don't listen to enough NPR, and something is missing from your life...
Let me back up a little bit. You see, on Saturday Tom and I were out shopping. During our adventures, Kristen gave me a call. You see, her parents donate regularly to Catco and because of that always have tickets to shows on hand. However, they would not be available for the Saturday show, so they gave Kristen her tickets. She would have gone with one of the two boys (a doctor and a lawyer; go Kristen) she's dating, but neither of them called her up, so she called me. It had been a while since I had seen a play, and I always liked the theatre, so I thought it would be a fun thing to do. Oddly enough, I think the last play I saw was another Catco play with Kristen, and we sat in the same seats we sat in Saturday! I can't be sure of that though...

Anyway, I also need to mention that on Friday my Creative MuVo TX FM [1 GB] USB flash/microdrive MP3/WMA/etc. player (that doubles as an FM tuner and triples as a USB memory stick) arrived. This thing is really slick. Take a look at the generic MuVo page to see how it works. It's just a memory stick that comes with a caddy that supplies power when it's not plugged into a PC. It's really neat, and I like it a lot.

However, on Saturday I didn't know if I liked it yet. So before seeing Kristen, I went to Audible.com and downloaded a couple of audio books to it. I saw that a number of David Sedaris pieces were available, so I downloaded the David Sedaris Live at Carnegie Hall (as well as the Daily Show's America, The Book, The Audiobook, which was pretty funny too).

So on the way to Kristen's, I listened to some of the Sedaris performance, and I about died laughing in the car. So I was in a pretty good mood when I saw Kristen. After the play, for some reason, I brought David Sedaris up, and she tells me that one of her friends is HIS COUSIN! Apparently this friend is getting married sometime soon and Sedaris is going to be at the wedding. I asked if he was going to speak there. She said that she didn't think so, and I thought that was pretty rotten.

So anyway, by way of Kristen's friend, David Sedaris and I are best friends now (note that I am not gay) and he'll be speaking at my wedding... whenever that is... and if my presently-imaginary fiance doesn't like it, then she's no woman for me.

That was a long road to nowhere, wasn't it?

No comments: