Monday, April 18, 2005

A New England

So Billy Bragg has a song called "A New England" that has some lyrics that caught my attention... (emphasis added)
I saw two shooting stars last night
I wished on them but they were only satellites
Is it wrong to wish on space hardware
I wish, I wish, I wish you’d care

"Is it wrong to wish on space hardware" ? Not only is that sort of a funny statement, but it's really... really SAD!

I liked the sentiment of the song though...
I loved you then as I love you still
Tho I put you on a pedestal,
They put you on the pill
I don’t feel bad about letting you go
I just feel sad about letting you know

I don’t want to change the world
I’m not looking for a new england
I’m just looking for another girl
I don’t want to change the world
I’m not looking for a new england
I’m just looking for another girl

I loved the words you wrote to me
But that was bloody yesterday
I can’t survive on what you send
Every time you need a friend

Right on. You go, boy.

But what's interesting to me is that there's a version sung by Kristy Maccoll as well. Its lyrics are feminized a bit, which changes the sentiment of the song, but one big thing is that does is add two extra stanzas at the end... (emphasis added)
My dreams were full of strange ideas
My mind was set despite the fears
But other things got in the way
I never asked that boy to stay

Once upon a time at home
I sat beside the telephone
Waiting for someone to pull me through
When at last it didn’t ring, I knew it wasn’t you

Now, I'm sure that last bolded line wasn't an original.

But that adds a little... twist to the story, I guess.

It's fun to me that this song is sung by a female and a male... It's like a call and response that really gives a better feel for the texture of the tension between these two people. I think that's fun.
 

No comments: