Tuesday, April 05, 2005

No Constitutional Right to a Lap Dance?

Court: There's No Constitutional Right To A Lap Dance
LA HABRA, Calif. -- There's no constitutional right to get up-close and personal during a lap dance.

That's the gist of a ruling from a federal appeals court. The panel has refused the appeal of a Southern California strip club owner who wanted a local "2-foot rule" overturned.

The city of La Habra requires that lap dancers stay at least 2 feet away from customers during their performances.

Badi "Bill" Gammoh, who owns the Taboo Theater, contends the rule infringes on freedom of expression. The strippers said they also lost money because of the requirement.

A federal appeals court has refused to reconsider a January ruling that upheld the 2-foot rule. But Gammoh's lawyer said their fight isn't over yet.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this because I frequent strip clubs; I don't frequent strip clubs.

However, I think the 2-foot rule is a little silly. I suppose without it some girls who don't want to get closer might take a cut in tips... However, I'm not convinced with it every girl doesn't take a cut in tips.

And it might just encourage some guys to stop going to strip clubs and start hiring prostitutes illegally. That hurts a legal industry and helps an illegal one (though I'm not saying I completely understand that law either).

No comments: