Sunday, June 18, 2006

Dating advice.... for women... from TED?!

UPDATE: I did a search and found the article on-line. If you're interested, read the whole thing here.

So today I ran into an article written by Ron Geraci, who has been called the "male Carrie Bradshaw," and I thought parts of it were particularly relevant. Its title:
WHY I WON'T COMMIT... YET

One die-hard bachelor who's been on hundreds of dates reveals his reasons for staying single--and 10 things women should do on a date.

Now, I'm not going to say that I'm some dating expert. However, I thought these three were pretty good points. They all have a common theme.

Express open-minded interest in something I bring up that you have no interest in at all. I’m doing this for you constantly, so reciprocate just a little. Instead of saying, “I don’t watch television, so I’ve never seen that show and don’t know anything about it” try, “I’ve heard about that show but haven’t seen it—what’s interesting about it?” See how easy?

If I talk on and on about myself, don’t immediately assume I’m an egocentric conversation hogger who never shuts up. It might be because you’re letting uncomfortable silence persist after responding economically to my questions. Say something interesting. If I don’t let you finish your sentences, label me an ass and move on.

Ask me one question. Just one question about me or my life. Don’t spend three hours responding to my questions, talking enthusiastically about your own life, or waiting to be entertained. Asking a question that indicates you have some interest in my life, and letting me answer it, will put you in the top 3 percent of great dates. And the more questions you ask, the greater your chances that any guy, die-hard bachelor or not, will fall hard and give up anything to be with you.

Okay, I think I should go work on a manuscript (compuscript?)... But I'm not much in the mood.

Maybe I'll go to see a movie.

Alone.

No comments: