Monday, June 19, 2006

The Wainwrights and My Muse Blues

CREEPY UPDATE: Just after I posted this, I received an e-mail from my sister with the subject, "Today's Inspirational Thought." The content of the e-mail was a cute little phrase that is on a shirt that I ordered ON FRIDAY. At the instant I realize this, a DHL guy arrives at the door with... yes... my shirt.

On top of that, the person who was packaging the order happened to accidentally also give me a Felix the Cat shirt in women's medium. Could this be my muse? Eventually I'll find someone to whom I can give this shirt; would she be my muse?

So who out there wear's a women's medium T-shirt? (see it here)

After last night's muse blues, it seems eerily relevant that today's "This I Believe" on NPR is about having a muse...
I believe in the power of inspiration, in the mysterious gift of creation -- creation with a small "c," that is -- creation as in one's work, hauling in the day's catch. When I write a song, I'm happy for a few days and it's not just because I've been reassured that I still have a job, though that's certainly part of it. Mostly I'm happy, I think, because I've experienced a real mystery. I haven't the slightest idea how it happened or where or from whom or what it came. I'd prefer not to know.

The piece is by Loudon Wainwright III, father of Rufus and Martha (all three who are popular singer/songwriters). As it closes, they play his song, "Muse Blues," which is all about writer's block.

No comments: